We are seeking a talented and motivated Senior R Developer (Senior Research Software Engineer for R) (f/m/d) to help us develop an R-based framework for modeling and simulation (M&S) and data processing and analysis workflows in the field of life sciences (pharmacological and toxicology risk assessment) research. Together with the core development team of the cross-industry, open-source M&S software project “Open Systems Pharmacology” (www.open-systems-pharmacology.org), you will be able to drive the idea of a pre-competitive open science approach in the industry.
As a part of the esqLABS software development team and in close collaboration with our multi-disciplinary research teams, you will help us to develop and establish new methods and workflows for computational M&S and data analysis based on the OSP software.
Your goal will be to develop and improve our packages with the focus on mathematical modeling and simulation (including Bayesian approaches), parameter estimation, statistical data analysis and visualization.
The tasks associated with this role are (but not limited to):
- Development of R packages (ospsuite-r, esqlabsR) for modeling and simulation workflows with mathematical models created with the OSP software
- Development of R package for parameter estimation for mathematical models (leveraging machine learning, non-linear mixed effects, log-likelihood, bayesian modeling)
- Solutions for data visualization (ggplot, etc.) and reporting (RMarkdown/Quarto)
- Development of GUI (e.g., Shiny) environments for integration of various M&S workflows
- Compilation of training material for internal and external users
Required skills & experience
- Master’s degree in quantitative sciences such as data science, engineering, applied mathematics, or a similar field
- A track record of successful R package development
- Knowledge in mathematics, statistics
- Software development mindset – writing well-structured and documented code, paying attention to performance
- Knowledge of data visualization and analysisExperience with code versioning and collaboration systems (Git, GitHub)
- Experience with CI/CD platforms (GitHub Actions, AppVeyor, etc.)
- Agile mindset, problem-solving skills, and willingness to embrace change and new technologies
- Strong self-organization skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Fluency in English (oral and written), German is a plus
Further qualities that will put you in the spotlight
- Passion for life sciences (biology, pharmacy, chemistry)
- Experience with Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms and packages
- Experience with UX design
- Good understanding of object-oriented programming (OOP)Experience with C++
- Knowledge of C#/.NET
- Experience in Cloud-Technologies such as Microsoft Azure, AWS
What's in store for you
The dynamic team behind esqLABS unites people with different backgrounds, spanning disciplines like pharmaceutical sciences, physics, bioinformatics, mathematics, data science, and software engineering. Our trust in each other, our open-mindedness, and our constant quest for excellence and innovation unite us. We value flat hierarchies, where everyone can contribute ideas and expertise to develop the best product. We are passionate, always willing to broaden our horizons, and love our start-up culture.
You will also benefit from:
- Flexible work hours and a home office policy that focuses on people and not on numbers
- An attractive remuneration package
- A dedicated budget for education programs and conferences you can attend
- A working environment in which your contribution will make a difference, and that allows you to take ownership of projects and processes
- Responsibility, autonomy, participation, and career perspective
esqLABS is an innovative, internationally acting Contract Research Organization and a global leader in the development and application of the OSP Suite (www.open-systems-pharmacology.org). We are a research-focused provider of specialized computational analyses in the life sciences industry. In close collaboration with industry and academia, we are committed to software development to fulfil our own and our clients' needs and the needs of the open-source community.
We collaborate with global corporations in the pharma and chemical industry, as well as start-ups in the life-science technology sector and academic and non-profit research institutions. We define new standards in pharmacometrics and systems pharmacology and toxicology areas. Our software and model platforms help scientists understand mechanisms of diseases and chemical toxicity to optimize individualized treatment of patients and protect the health of the animal and human life.
esqLABS has attracted international players as sponsors for the OSP Software development. In addition, funding through national and EU-wide research grants allows us to develop our core technologies continuously.
For more information about our culture, values and benefits visit our Unique career opportunities - esqLABS GmbH.
At esqLABS, we are committed to diverse backgrounds and experiences.